How to get a job in interior design can depends on how much background you have in interior design and the type of interior design job you are seeking. If you already have some training, work experiences in interior design and even have a portfolio of your work, it will be much easier to enter into the interior design industry. Lets take a look at the steps require to get into interior design.
How to Get a Job in Interior Design Guide
- first, it is important to determine what area of interior design you wish to get into for the job
- who are your ideal companies you wish to work for? Interior design firm? Contractors? Builders? Governmental design departments? Developers? Manufacturers? Product sales and distributing companies? Interior decorating forms or stores? Kitchen companies? Window blinds companies? etc.
- there are various areas you can get into interior design such as product sales, project cost estimating, drafting, designing, decorating, interior design project management, specification writing, interior property development, real estate related jobs, furniture companies and etc.
- are you interested to work in the residential or commercial sectors or both? Note that commercial interiors can be more complex compare to residential interior design
- once you have gained some insight and idea what and where you wish to work in the interior design industry, then the next step is to see if you have the skills for that particular job
- if you wish to work as an Interior Designer, do you have the basic interior design skills such as design, computer aided drafting or manual drafting, drawing and sketches, material, color and finishes knowledge, project management, construction administration, costing, risk management, site/project inspection, blue print reading, scale and dimensions etc.
- don’t worry if you don’t have all the require skills. Make sure you have basic skills in design, blue print reading and material, color and finishes knowledge
- if you don’t already have a portfolio of your work, now is the time to put one together in a presentable and readable format. Put your best work in your portfolio
- Once you have all the above items reviewed and gathered, it is time for you to start searching for an interior design job
- there are few ways searching for jobs and getting in interior design job including online job search via company websites and job search sites, direct mail in resume, direct phone call to potential companies, direct walk-in to companies, referral by others and networking with clubs and related associations.
- if you are utilizing direct contact to companies, always remember to follow up with the company later
- when searching for interior design jobs, the more the company know about you and you as a person, the better your change in getting a job with them
- when starting out getting a job in interior design, don’t try to negotiate your salary or company benefits as this is your first job and you are still learning the trade
- remember, if this is your first time getting interior design job and someone decided to hire you, that means they are willing to train you and pay you at the same time
How to Get a Job in Interior Design Summary
- be humble and appreciative when searching for your first interior design job
- your objective is to gain and learn real world interior design experiences
- ensure you are well prepare before getting an interior design job
- get a job that will provide you hands-on practical experiences
- always follow-up with the company once you have submitted a resume
- let the company get to know you
- how to get a job in interior design will require time, persistence and patient