Creative exercises for Designers are important for all Designers including experienced designers, experienced Interior Designers and especially beginning interior design students. Creative exercises for Designers are important because design is about creativity and problem solving. Designers must not look at these 2 words as 2 distinctive tasks. In many ways, it is not just about being creative and problem solving but it is more about creative problem solving as 1 combined task. By practicing creative exercises regularly, Designers can strengthen their creative skills. Beginning design and interior design students should start this creative exercises practice early in their education and continue into their working career.
Beginning interior design students should integrate the practice creative exercises into their training program and make it a habit practicing creative exercises regularly.
A Designer or an Interior Designer are faced with design challenges and problems in every project and every design project is different. No one project is ever the same. Therefore, it is important for a Designer or Interior Designer to constantly train and strengthen themselves with creative problem solving skills.
There are many ways for Designers to practice creative exercises. Some of the creative exercises for Designers and Interior Designers may include the following:
- reading books and magazines for inspirations
- meditations (this can empty and open up more spaces in your mind for creativity)
- Yoga exercises
- creating artworks
- visiting art galleries
- automatic drawings
- entering design/creative competitions
- attending design seminars
- taking classes
- teach an art or design class
- relax and rest
- be calm
- and many more…
The 3 creative exercises for Designers worth mentioning from the above list are: automatic drawings, entering design/creative competitions and doodling exercises. When doing any of these 3 exercises correctly, it can stimulate your mind by enriching and/or strengthen your creativity and as a result, becoming a better, smarter creative problem solver.
Creative Exercises for Designers Summary
- creative exercises for Designers strengthen creative problem solving skills
- regular creative exercises makes better Designers and Interior Designers
- there are many ways to practice creative exercises
- creative exercises can stimulate your mind
- emptying your mind is a good start to get creative
- when practicing creative exercises, don’t limit yourselves and promote free thinking
- to be more effective, practice by combining multiple creative exercises
- don’t just be creative, be a smart creative problem solver