How long does it take to become an Interior Designer? First thing you need to understand is that becoming an Interior Designer is unlike becoming a medical Doctor or an Engineer or a Lawyer etc. There is no set or strict regulatory requirements to become an Interior Designer. As long as you have the skills and experiences, you can become an Interior Designer and start your own practice.
To really provide you an answer as to how long does it take to become an Interior Designer, beginning interior design students should ask themselves a few questions before they invest time and money in choosing an educational or training program in interior design. As a student, you need to remember this… an education is an investment both in time and money and sometimes, lots of money and time.
Ok, lets break this down abit and start from the beginning. You know you want to become an Interior Designer or maybe you are thinking to become an Interior Designer and you want to know how long does it take to become an Interior Designer. To start, you need to start by asking yourself 3 important questions and they are:
- how much time can I invest into learning and be trained to become an Interior Designer or how much time do I have available for a educational training program.
- how much money do I have available to invest in my interior design education (this is one of the most important question) or do I need to get a student loan?
- what are my plans after my interior design training? ie: Do I want to run my own interior design consultant firm or do I want to just work for an interior design studio or maybe I am just doing this for fun and use the skills I learned for my own interests only?
These 3 questions you ask yourself can determine how you select your interior design training and as a result, will effect how long does it take to become an Interior Designer. For example, if your answer to question 1 is that you only have 3 or 6 months of available time that you can spared for a full time education, then you need to search for an interior design training program that will meet this timeline. If your finance is limited or you have only so much money available without a getting student loan, then again, you will need to find an interior design training program that will meet your budget etc etc. All these decisions and consideration can affect how long does it take to become an Interior Designer.
How long does it will take you to become an Interior Designer will be determined by the available finance you have, the available time you have and the purpose of you wanting to become an Interior Designer.
Once you have determined and have considered the above 3 questions and have done some research, you will eventually have an idea as to how long does it take to become an Interior Designer. Based on the above questions, you can do this by finding the types of interior design training program that are available for you rather that is a certificate program, a diploma program or an degree program or even via self-learning instead.
Therefore, as a result of the above, it can take you anywhere from a few months, 6 months or a year to 5+ years to complete your interior design training inorder to become an Interior Designer.
How Long Does It Take to Become an Interior Designer Summary
- need to consider 3 questions before you can more accurately determine how long it will take you to become an Interior Designer
- the 3 questions are available time, available finance and purpose of becoming an Interior Designer
- normally can take up to a few months, 6 months, 1 year to 5+ years of full time study inorder to become an Interior Designer
- try to avoid student loan as interest rate can be high
- if you are not sure if interior design is right for you, start your education by self-learning or with short by attending training program
- start your interior design training with a short training program as tuition cost are much lower with a much shorter timeline