What does an Interior Designer do on a daily basis can be very different and yet exciting. As an Interior Designer, your daily tasks can be fun, exciting, diversified, challenging and full of learning opportunities, Every day can be very different. Of course, your attitude towards your work is very important as well as this can and will determine how much you wish be involved in an interior design project.
Depending on your working environment, working in a interior design studio for an employer and working on your own running your own interior design business can be very different interms of daily tasks and responsibilities. If you are an Interior Designer consultant running your own practice, you can enjoy more diversified and challenging tasks on a daily basis. However, depending on the type & size of your place of work, working for an interior design office for an employer, it is still very challenging but you maybe performing similar tasks on a daily basis.
Nevertheless, unlike other profession, as an Interior Designer, you get to be involved in different types of design projects and you will get to meet and interact with different people all the time from clients, other consultants, trades people, supplier’s representatives etc. Most importantly, you get to hang around with creative people, be creative on a daily basis creating designs, solving different type of problems and getting paid for it.
Lets break down some of the daily tasks that what an Interior Design may require to do on a daily basis:
- meetings with clients
- meetings with consultants such as Engineers and Architects
- meetings with supplier’s representative and look at interesting interior design products
- meetings with City officials
- meeting new people
- drawing and sketching ideas
- color renderings
- drafting on the computer
- putting color and finish sample boards together
- interior designing
- designing lighting fixtures, furniture and millwork
- selecting colour
- selecting lighting fixtures, furniture, carpets, floor finishes etc.
- visiting job sites reviewing progress of the construction work
- visiting job site reviewing new projects with clients
- talking on the phone
- having lunch with clients
- coordinating interior design projects with your team
- attending design conferences
- attending social functions related to business
- getting invited to parties and social functions
- reviewing documents and drawings
- you also may get to travel to other places/different city or country for design projects
- you maybe interviewed by magazines, newspapers or TV for your design
- you may win design awards and attend award ceremonies
- and much much more
What does an Interior Designer do on a Daily Basis Summary
Both working for an Interior Design office or owning your interior design consulting office will provide you challenging work and diversified work on a daily basis. This is especially true when you run your own interior design consulting office. Working for a smaller interior design studio can also provide you the opportunities to work on various different tasks.
Overall, interior design is a creative profession and every project you work on will be both fun and challenging. Because each project is different, you will get to be involved in different roles and perform different task in very project. You may be spending more time in design in one project and then on another project, you maybe spending more time visiting the job site and coordinating the project team. Nevertheless, as an Interior Designer, you will be able to perform different type of work on a daily basis.
- good to work with an interior design office for a while before having your own interior design consulting office so you can be exposed to alot of different work and tasks
- be open minded to meet different types of people
- not every role or task you will enjoy but do them anyway to gain the experiences
- concentrate the roles and tasks you are good at and improve those skills
- delegate the tasks or roles to someone else if you truly don’t enjoy them (or maybe not so good at it) but make sure you have gained the experiences already or hire a staff or special consultant to perform those tasks/roles