Should I be an Interior Designer can depend on the type of interest, hobbies you have and your personality as well. However, most of time, everything will change once you have had a chance to learn more about interior design. But we always want to, at the least, find out if a particular career choice will be a good fit for ourselves. To start this should I be a Interior Designer process, the following questions you should start asking yourselves to see if or how much you enjoy doing them:
- speaking in the public?
- do you like to initiate a conversation or you like to wait for someone to start the conversation instead?
- the arts?
- going to art galleries?
- like to draw or creating artwork?
- enjoy leading or you prefer to follow instead?
- like creating things?
- meeting new people?
- do you like colors?
- you enjoy visually pleasing things?
- managing and coordinating things to ensure things get done?
- enjoy getting out and go to an event?
- like technology?
- going into a nice comfortable space?
- enjoy being in a visual appealing interior?
- computer work?
- do you enjoy stylish things?
The above are just some of the things you may find yourself already are doing and not doing but if you are the lucky one who enjoy doing most of them or even just some of them, you may be a good candidate to become an Interior Designer. However, don’t look at these questions as a must to have inorder to be an Interior Designer. Many students from young to older students do not enjoy most of the above items or have done them before or even not knowing anything about the interior design industry and they ended up becoming a successful Interior Designer.
An Interior Designer must have an open mind and constantly willing to learn new things
Rather you enjoy the above items or not, once you have started your interior design training program, you can slowly learn about the profession and enjoy the things you may have yet tried including the items above.
Therefore, the question should I be an Interior Designer can be just a premature question until you have given interior design a try. Maybe take a few short courses to see if you enjoy interior design and to learn more about the profession. Who knows, like many people, you may just love it!
Now we have gone through some initial questioning on should I be an Interior Designer. Lets take a brief look at what are some of the typical tasks an Interior Designer do. This way, you will get an idea how you relate yourself to to the interior design profession. The following are some of the tasks an Interior Designer does:
- managing and coordinating
- meeting with project team
- meeting with clients
- meeting with contractors
- attend meeting on construction
- leading the project team to complete the project
- business marketing
- making presentations
- drawing and sketching
- computer drafting
- picking colors, materials and finishes
- visiting job sites
- creating artworks
- designing furnitures and lighting fixtures
- dining with clients
- invited to attend events
- going to project openings
- winning design award
- and much more…
As you can see, being an Interior Designer is exciting and challenging. You will be working on interesting interior design projects such as restaurants, coffee shops, night clubs, shopping malls, retails, schools, offices, hospitals, designing furnitures and much more. Interior design is a skill that is for life and you can use it anywhere in the world. The most satisfying about interior design is that you get to see your creation at the end and get paid for it.
If you want to learn more about should I be an Interior Designer or how to become an Interior Designer click here.
Should I be an Interior Designer Summary
- do you enjoy creating things?
- do you like to decorate? ie: your room, choosing colors, selecting furniture etc.
- do you enjoy designing or making things?
- do you like the arts?
- do you like to draw? paint?
- no matter what your interest are, interior design can be learned rather that is decorating, designing, drawing etc and most people will develop interest and passion for interior design
- interior design is very different then other profession as it is a very creative profession
- its a good idea to take a few short interior design courses just to learn more about interior design and this will provide you an opportunity to see if you have the interest in becoming an Interior Designer